When in an urgent situation, users are able to call for help quickly via the SOS feature on their iPhone, serving as an important safety feature. However, there might be scenarios where you want to turn off this feature for various reasons. There are multiple methods for turning off SOS on your iPhone in this guide.
What is SOS on iPhone?
SOS on iPhone is an emergency feature designed to help users quickly call for help and notify emergency contacts in critical situations. When activated, it can dial local emergency services and send a message to your selected emergency contacts with your location.
Why Turn off SOS on iPhone?
There could be various reasons for wanting to turn off the SOS feature on your iPhone. Maybe you’ve unintentionally triggered it, or you simply want to disable it for specific situations. Whatever the reason, it’s fundamental to know how to deactivate it.
How to Turn Off SOS on iPhone?
To stop SOS on your iPhone, just do these easy steps:
1. Turn off SOS on iPhone via Siri:
- Activate Siri by holding the Side or Home button (depending on your iPhone model) or saying “Hey Siri.”
- Say, “Turn off Emergency SOS.”
2. Turn off SOS on iPhone via iPhixer:
- Download and install iPhixer on your computer.
- Connect your iPhone and launch iPhixer.
- Click on the “1-Click” option and then “Exit Emergency Mode.”
3. Turn off SOS Mode on iPhone by Toggling on and off Airplane Mode:
- Swipe down from the top-right corner to open Control Center.
- Tap on the airplane icon to enable Airplane Mode, wait a few seconds, and then disable it.
4. Navigate to Settings:
- Unlock your iPhone and locate the Settings app, represented by a gear icon.
- Tap on Settings to access the central hub for customizing various aspects of your device.
5. Select Emergency SOS:
Scroll down within the Settings menu to find and tap on “Emergency SOS.”
This takes you to the settings related to the SOS feature.
6. Disable the “Call with Side Button” Option:
- Inside the Emergency SOS settings, find the “Call with Side Button” option.
- Toggle this option off to prevent accidental triggers when pressing the side button.
7. Turn off “Auto Call”:
- Within the Emergency SOS menu, locate the “Auto Call” option.
- Disable it to prevent your iPhone from automatically making emergency calls when the side button is pressed quickly five times.
8. Confirm and Exit:
- After making these adjustments, confirm your changes.
- Your iPhone will no longer initiate an emergency call with the side button, providing you with the control you desire.
Customizing Emergency Contacts:
In the same “Emergency SOS” settings, you can add or remove contacts. It’s crucial to have the right people notified in case of an emergency. Review and update your emergency contacts.
Testing the Changes:
After making these adjustments, it’s a good idea to test if everything is working as expected. Triggering an SOS when unnecessary can be embarrassing, so make a non-emergency call to confirm that the changes have been applied successfully.
Now, you might wonder if turning off SOS compromises your safety. Fear not! The iPhone comes with other safety features, and it’s essential to have your emergency contacts saved even if you turn off SOS.
Benefits of Turning Off SOS:
Aside from avoiding false alarms, turning off SOS can also contribute to preserving your battery life. Every little bit counts, right?
- Can I still call for help if I turn off SOS? Absolutely. Turning off SOS only disables the shortcut, not your ability to call for help.
- What other safety features does the iPhone offer? The iPhone boasts features like Medical ID, location sharing, and more.
- Can I customize who gets notified in case of an emergency? Yes, you can. Use the “Emergency SOS” settings to manage your emergency contacts.
- How often should I update my iPhone’s software? The latest security patches and features are available on your device with regular updates.
- Is turning off SOS reversible if I change my mind later? Certainly. Just revisit the “Emergency SOS” settings and toggle the option back on.
To put things into perspective, let’s hear from others who have accidentally triggered SOS and how turning it off made a positive difference in their iPhone experience.
Stay Informed: Software Updates:
Apple frequently updates iOS, and sometimes these updates bring changes to existing features. Stay informed about software updates to ensure you’re making the most out of your iPhone’s capabilities.
In conclusion, mastering the basics of your iPhone empowers you to tailor your device to your preferences. Turning off the SOS feature is a simple yet impactful customization that can enhance your overall user experience. By following the easy steps outlined in this guide, you can navigate your iPhone’s settings with confidence, ensuring that your device complements your lifestyle seamlessly.
Remember, technology should adapt to your needs, and with these steps, you have taken a significant stride in achieving just that. Enjoy your personalized iPhone experience with the SOS feature now under your control.